In a nutshell, here are the 2 things that need to be done to get your website working …
How much promotion needs to be done ?
At least 15% of your income should be going into promotion and a similar proportion of your time each week needs to be allocated to promotion as well.
Posters need to be put where they can be seen, printed ads need to be distributed and attention needs to be generated for websites too or no-one will visit. The amount of work that’s needed is often way underestimated – it takes a LOT of effort.
A website can be promoted with banners on other people’s website, by radio, on business cards and printed promotion, but considering the overwhelming number of marketing messages people receive these days, these forms of advertising aren’t working as well as they used to.
How to make money from promotion.
It’s a true cliche that making money is based on investing $1 and making $2 back.
A website is promotion and as with all marketing and advertising the business proposition is the same – more money needs to be earned than is spent on the advertising.
- The first step is to work out the value or profit of having a client. Include the value of repeat business as most people are quite loyal once they’ve found a someone or a business that they trust.
- Decide how much money it’s worth spending to get this client and sale.
- Determine the monthly or weekly cost of the promotion you’re considering.
- How many of these clients or jobs would you need per month to cover the monthly promotion cost ?
- Based on your best estimates, get the promotion happening. Track the results.
- When people get to the website they need to be encouraged to contact you or buy, which I’ll cover in a later post.
- Refine the promotion to get better results ( or cancel it if it’s not working ).
Without promotion something terrible happens… Nothing!