Is your customer base local ?
If your customers are local, they’ll be searching on their phones and looking at the maps. When Google decides a search phrase shows an intention to find something nearby they also display a pack of local results. and Local SEO is what you do to help move higher in these.
Local search results are based on Google My Business pages which any Business can claim for free – you don’t need a website – and they display in Google Maps on desktop computers and phones.
The position of listings in the Local search results are influenced by …
- The number of online reviews,
- The number of mentions in a country’s online directories – called citations,
- The distance of the business physically from the searcher ( a searcher can also set their location in the left column of Google’s search page ),
- Setting up the MyBusiness page correctly,
- a website set up well for SEO and
- ( to a degree ) external SEO factors for the website.
What Needs to be Done
As with any SEO, the first things to check are (1) which terms are likely to get you paying customers (2) are there a good number of people searching for these terms and (3) can you beat the competition.
Local SEO Setups
- Locate, update and correct where possible your current directory listings. If there are none, then add the first 2 or 3.
- Correctly set up the Google My Business page. We may need to help you claim it, start from scratch or update one you have so it’s 100% complete.
- Help you set up a review program that suits your business.
Even though you don’t need a website to have a Google My Business page and display in the Local search results, a well set up business website is an influence and ranking factor. We may need to tune your website as an additional setup.
Preventing a listing from being overtaken in search results by your competition usually requires maintenance.
- Monitor current directory listings and change them when needed ( add new images ). Listings showing activity have more SEO weight than dead listings. We will keep listings up-dated.
- Slowly submit and claim new directory listings in Local and industry related directories so that there’s a gradual, continual growth of these.
- Create and distribute an online Press Release ( about 3 a year ).
We subscribe to a number of services both to monitor Local SEO results, and get up-to-date information regarding changes with Google. When we become aware of a change that affects search results, we’ll take action where needed.
It may take several months in competitive business niches or high population density areas to rise up in these search results.
Initial audit: $150
Setups: from $452
Ongoing Local SEO is a monthly subscription with no contract, from $150 (plus gst) each month, depending on the level of difficulty. Reports are provided each month.