Local SEO concerns the actions taken to help a search result move higher in the Local search results. These are the pack of results that Google displays if they decide the search phrase shows an intention to find something nearby.
They’re based on Google’s MyBusiness pages which any Business can claim for free – you don’t need a website – and they also display in Google Maps on desktop computers and phones.
The position of listings in the Local search results are influenced by …
- The number of online reviews,
- The number of mentions in a country’s online directories – called citations,
- The distance of the business physically from the searcher ( a searcher can also set their location in the left column of Google’s search page ),
- Setting up the MyBusiness page correctly,
- a website set up well for SEO and
- ( to a degree ) external SEO factors for the website.
What Needs to be Done
As with any SEO, the first thing is to check, or audit (1) which terms are likely to get you paying customers (2) are there a good number of people searching for these terms and (3) can you beat the competition.
Local SEO Setups
- Locate, update and correct where possible current external directory listings. If there are none, then add the first 2 or 3.
- Correctly set up a Google MyBusiness page. Your listing needs to be 100% complete with relevant local and product information.
- Work with you to create an individual review program that suits your business.
- GEO-tag photos ( at least 3 ) and add them to map listings like Google Maps and Google Earth.
Preventing a listing from being overtaken by competition in the search results usually requires maintenance.
- Upkeep and monitor the review system we have put in place. The way we collect reviews has changed many times to stay inline with the current best practices and will continue to do so. We’ll work with you to maintain a workable and effective system.
- Monitor current directory listings and change them when needed ( add new images ). Listings showing activity have more SEO weight than dead listings. We will keep listings up-dated.
- Submit and claim new directory listings in Local and industry related directories so that there’s a gradual, continual growth of these.
- Create and distribute online Press Releases ( about 3 a year ).
- Gradually back-link to your directory listings to increase the authority of your business.
We subscribe to a number of services to monitor Local SEO results, and also to get up-to-date information regarding changes that Google is making. When we become aware of a change that affects search results, we take action where needed.
Example: when backlinks to a website began to influence Local search results in 2014 ( in a similar way to main results ) we added a step to our maintenance list to look after that.
It may take several months in competitive business niches or high population density areas to rise up in these search results.
Initial audit: $150
Setups: from $452
Ongoing Local SEO is a monthly subscription with no contract, from $330 per month, depending on the level of difficulty. Reports are provided each month & you can contact one of us any time during business hours ( Costs include the GST ).