Before we look at 5 ways you can hammer most of your competition, let’s look at what not to do. In the last year I’ve had 2 clients re-develop their websites in-house.
2 Recent, Epic Fails
- No Contact page !?!! This is a big NEGATIVE FACTOR to doing well in Local search results. Also most people tend to look for a contact link at the right of the main menu, so it’s guaranteed to lose them contacts.
- White writing on light-green background. Few people will strain their eyes to try and read it.
- Slider on the home page. This is bad for the reasons listed here … https://krogsgard.com/2013/sliders-suck/
- Replaced an offer that was on the eye-trail of the home page, with a Join our email list form at the bottom. The number of people who want to receive MORE emails these days is very small.
- Removed half of the pages. This is a HUGE red flag to Google, saying that the value of the website has decreased. As well, it resulted in masses of links in search results to now non-existent pages.
- Removed the free download from their website that had brought in over 500 new email names and was still producing new contacts for them before it was taken off.
- Produced a graphic design that looks like a year-6 primary school student has done it, with “Powered by WordPress” still at the bottom, miscellaneous Facebook and Twitter buttons, and their logo stuck-on, in a white box.
- Placed a Useful Links box in top-right, prime marketing real-estate of the home page that’s the hottest place for an offer to get leads.
- Inserted BIG pictures on the pages that will result in people getting sick of waiting for the page to download.
Most businesses specialise in what they do,
but NOT in online marketing or website design.
The 5 Ways to Get an Edge